Posted March 26, 2020
We are staying at home and social distancing. Our grocery shelves are bare and our restaurants are closed to foot traffic.
Ordering from restaurants is making consumers feel good
Before COVID-19, over 50% of consumers went out for dinner, and about 25% ordered takeout for delivery or pick up more than once a week. Now that restaurants are closed for seating, we wanted to explore if consumers anticipate shifting from eating out to takeout and delivery.
18% of consumers surveyed anticipate ordering more from restaurants in the next few weeks, with 47% anticipating ordering less. The reasons?
- 95% of surveyed consumers anticipate increasing their ordering from restaurants for two reasons 1) They want to assist their community members in keeping their jobs and 2) They want to help keep their local restaurants in business.
- More than half (52%) anticipate increasing orders from restaurants because they have protocols in place to make sure food is safe. On the other hand, almost 60% anticipate decreasing ordering from restaurants because they are not sure if employees are infected with COVID-19.
- About half (45%) say they anticipate increasing orders from restaurants because they desire a greater variety of foods to eat while staying at home.
- 20% say they anticipate increasing orders from restaurants because they are already tired of cooking from their pantry.
- 55% anticipate decreasing orders from restaurants to conserve money.
Survey conducted March 24-25, 2020 (n=1180) to understand impact of COVID-19 on consumer attitudes towards online order for takeout or delivery from restaurants.
Fexy is the leading food technology company. Our Relish platform powers proprietary shopping technology reaching over 60MM home cooks monthly, across our owned and operated sites, Simply Recipes, Serious Eats and Relish.com, as well as a hand-selected blogger network.
We attract home cooks when they are trying to answer the question “What’s for Dinner Tonight?” and provide them the opportunity to save the ingredients to an online shopping list and purchase groceries for in store pick up or online delivery.
Relish Insights is a monthly look at interesting information regarding a consumers path-to-purchase journey in their grocery shopping experiences.
Where’s the TP?! Relish Launches Stock Checker to Help Shoppers Find Staples at Local Grocery Stores
Toilet paper, paper towels, hand sanitizer and more are easier to find and shop for now – plus, plan weekly menus and shopping lists to fully optimize the trip to the store. Seattle, WA – April 3, 2020 – Relish, owned by Fexy, is a free web tool that makes online meal...
Today we are humbled by the love in our big little Emerald City – a love as boisterous as the Pike Place Market used to be just a few weeks ago…as palpable as the laughter and chatter once heard in the busy downtown restaurants, now only open for takeout. Today, this love glints off the digital airwaves like the sun sparkling on the Puget Sound as we shift our connections online rather than in-line at our neighborhood coffee shops.