Posted March 27, 2020
Across the US, consumers are changing the way they shop for groceries.
We first surveyed consumers March 6 -8 (n=1933) about how they are shifting their grocery shopping behaviors. With the spread of COVID-19, we ran another survey March 24-25 (n=1180) to understand if consumers were accelerating their new behaviors.
Coronavirus is accelerating the shift in how consumers shop for groceries
In early March, 24% of respondents said their grocery shopping habits have changed since Coronavirus, and two weeks later 83% claim their shopping habits have changed – an increase of 59 points!
How has shopping changed since COVID-19 came to the US?
- In early March, 51% of respondents said they were consolidating their shopping trips, and more recently 74% are reporting as such — this means ¾ of consumers are now consolidating their shopping trips.
- In early March, 84% of consumers reported that they were stocking up on more items at the store; now that number has been reduced to 70%.
- Consumers are increasingly going to grocery stores earlier in the day before the shelves are empty — 28% in early March, and 44% two weeks later.
- Price is less of a consideration to consumers than two weeks ago – with 11% reporting that price was not a consideration in early March, and 29% reporting the same two weeks later.
- Consumers are moving online to shop for groceries – in early March, only 12% anticipated purchasing groceries online in the next 30 days whereas just two weeks later that number increased to 45% — almost ½ of all grocery shoppers anticipate shopping online for groceries in the next 30 days!
Fexy is the leading food technology company. Our Relish platform powers proprietary shopping technology reaching over 60MM home cooks monthly, across our owned and operated sites, Simply Recipes, Serious Eats and Relish.com, as well as a hand-selected blogger network.
We attract home cooks when they are trying to answer the question “What’s for Dinner Tonight?” and provide them the opportunity to save the ingredients to an online shopping list and purchase groceries for in store pick up or online delivery
Relish Insights is a monthly look at interesting information regarding a consumers path-to-purchase journey in their grocery shopping experiences.
We are staying at home and social distancing. Our grocery shelves are bare and our restaurants are closed to foot traffic. Ordering from restaurants is making consumers feel good.
Sentiments towards online grocery shopping are shifting. Across the US, consumers are changing the way they shop for groceries. We surveyed 2,152 consumers who have shopped for groceries in the last 30 days to understand more about how Coronavirus has impacted...